Deployment(s) of the Week
This week, we recognise three outstanding projects as deployments of the week.
SardSOS : Emergenza Meteo Sardegna 2013 is a deployment set up to track effects of the deadly Cyclone Cleopatra and subsequent floods and help with emergency efforts.
The team at galas.org.ua/ are creating awareness on the plight of protesters in Ukraine, and helping to track those arrested or injured.
Mobilkartan is a project trying to collect information on quality of cell phone coverage in Sweden from ordinary citizens.
In the News
Late appreciation or not, it was great getting to meet so many crisis mappers from within the Ushahidi community at the 5th Annual Crisis Mapper’s conference held two weeks ago. The pre conference training day was extremely engaging, with folks getting a sneak preview into Ushahidi v3 as well as an inside scoop on how the BRCK works from Erik Hersman.
Huge shoutout goes to the conference organisers for a fruitful and amazing experience.
Knight Foundation Civic Tech report
The Knight foundation recently released a first-of-its-kind analysis of the emerging civic tech landscape. It offers insights into investments being made in this growing field, and organisations behind them.
Making All Voices Count Global Competition
The Making All Voices Count initiative announced its Global Innovation Competition during the Open Government Partnership (OGP) summit in London and is still seeking submissions until December 13th, 2013. Find out more, or apply.
- Ushahidi is looking for a senior engineer(an architect, not a code monkey ) to join the team. Do you fit this bill? Send in your applications to chris AT ushahidi DOT com
- FrontlineSMS are hiring a Chief Financial Officer for their SIMLab project and a Chief Engineer as well. See more details.
— Sean McDonald (@McDapper) December 2, 2013
Bellagio/PopTech Fellows nominations are open
— PopTech (@poptech) December 2, 2013
- Join an online an online Data Expedition with the Open Knowledge foundation’s School of Data to Investigate the Extractive Industries of Nigeria December 7, Noon-18:00 CET / Lagos. Register for free
- The Making All Voices Count team will be at the Institute of Development Studies in the UK on December 10th, 2013. If you’d like to attend, register here. Alternatively, you can watch the livestream accessible here, on the day of the event at 13.00 – 14.00 (GMT).
- Random Hacks of Kindness Ottawa – Dec 7th – 8th 2013. Sign up to attend the hackathon .
- State of the map Philippines is happening on December 14th and 15th, 2013. Attend and join discussions on how the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap community can contribute to relief efforts.
Into the Code
We’re all still preparing for a beta release of Ushahidi v3 soon. Review our roadmap. Stay tuned for more details on a G+ hangout with the team for a run down of what to expect from the platform.
Hope our North American community had a great thanksgiving holiday.
Happy Week folks!